Capital City Half Marathon

I know I have been missing in action for several weeks. I have so much to tell you all about!  First, I ran my second half marathon….the Capital City Half Marathon and wanted to give you a recap of all the shenanigans.

I unfortunately did not take any pictures because I am a HORRIBLE BLOGGER!  So, I will refer you to the website to see all the fantastic picture the photographer took 🙂

I will start by saying that I was really excited to run this race. It is the second half marathon this year, and I have been training really hard for it all year. My first half marathon was a really REALLY hilly trail run, so I didn’t feel that I knew just how fast I could really finish a race. So, I wanted to run one that was fast, flat and scenic. Close to home was also a consideration. This one fit the bill.  This was also the first time I have run alone during a race.

I started out not feeling super confident about the race.  I had done everything right, except that about two weeks prior to the race, I started having runners knee….and totally stopped running for a week. I kept up with pool running, so I was hopping that my endurance was still there. My last long run was 10 miles (the only one in the last 2 weeks prior to the race) and it really was horrible! I finished, but felt like I had been hit by a truck.

Then, the night before the race, it was calling for rain. I did not want to run this entire race in the rain! To make matters worse, the forecasters were calling for very cold temperatures in the mid 40’s. So, all night I had nightmares about freezing temps and hypothermia. When I was woken up in the middle of the night by thunder, lightening and lawn chairs blowing across the deck of my house, I just knew my fears were coming true. But I woke up at 5am, checked the race website and it looked like the race was still on, so I decided to go for it. I ate my customary banana and peanut butter, poured my small glass of coffee and the hubs and I were off.

The good thing about waking up that early for travel is that there was absolutely no traffic. We got over to Lansing in record time, and Nathan dropped me off near the start. I wasn’t sure exactly where to go, so I just punched in “The Lansing Center” into my GPS and asked him to drop me off when I saw a bunch of other runners walking. Packet pickup was a breeze as well. The race organizers had everything down to a science.  I decided to pack a small bag with a warm sweatshirt, extra dry socks, etc so just in case it rained during the race, I could have something warm to change into.

I lined up at the start with all the other runners and the pacers.  I have never run with pacers before so that was a new experience. Usually during the first 2 miles I usually run out about 10:15 before I settle in to my 11 minute mile pace for the rest of the race. So, I decided to start with the 10:30 pace group and see what happened. The singer sang the National Anthem and we were off.

I felt GREAT for the first 6 miles. The weather was an overcast 50 degrees, not really too breezy. I wasn’t passing a ton of people but I wasn’t getting passed either, so I figured I was doing something right. The race was pretty flat and there were a lot of spectators which made for a really enjoyable run. Then, somewhere around mile 6.5, I started wondering when the half marathon and the marathon course split. Once I started to doubt myself, it went downhill from there. I started envisioning that I had accidentally started with the full marathoners (I could have sworn that I read that we all started together, but when you are in the midst of panic and hysteria, anything goes). I started focusing on looking at everyone else’s bib to make sure I was in the right race!  It went downhill from there!

You can just see how much fun I am having here!

I managed to keep running for most of the race. There were water stops every 2-3 miles, so I decided to walk through the water stops and then run the rest. When the 10:30 minute per mile pacer passed me, I didn’t care. When the 11:00 minute per mile pacer passed me, I cared a little bit. When the 11:30 minute per mile pacer passed me, I kicked it up a notch for about 10 steps, then decided my goal was just to finish. I also learned a great lesson during this race. I didn’t pay much attention to where I was running on the course. I thought I was running along the tangents most of the time (running as close to the corners as possible) but when I finished my Garmin said I had run almost a full 1/2 mile longer than I was supposed to. So, moral of the story, when running a race, stay out of the center of the road or you will run more than you bargained for 🙂

I ended up rallying at the end (with the help of 2 chocolate gu packets and lots of water) for a finishing time of 2:33:05. My Garmin read a total of 13.48 miles. I was pretty excited about it considering how horrible I felt during the entire second half of the race 🙂

The finish line was great. It ended with a slight uphill and then completely flat. There was music, lots of refreshments (pizza, fruit and water/ Gatorade). I easily picked up my bag from baggage check with no lines. The worst part of finishing was that I could not get the top off my water bottle to save my life!  I had to ask the nice lady one of the vendors to help me. Apparently I was a little spent 🙂

I ended up calling the hubs and he picked me up in about 10 minutes flat. We ended the day with lunch with in in-laws and I may or may not have slept the whole way home. It was a good day!




About Save the Treats for the Dog

Hi. My name is April. I am a runner, want to be photographer, and lover of all things dog. This is my space where I can keep track of all the Labrador antics as well as hopefully still maintain some semblance of a healthy lifestyle. Please come in and stay awhile
This entry was posted in Half marathon and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s